Shadowrun Chronicles

Loki

Hier ist Jan Wagner nochmal im Interview,

da geht es dann aber eher um Outfits:

Warum hat das Boston Lockdown für Saeder-Krupp eigentlich den alten Schwarz-Rot-Goldenen Drachenkopf und nicht das neue Lofwyr-Goldene SK-Logo aus dem Grundregelwerk (S. 34)?

Weil es offenbar echt schwer ist, sich beim Briefen von Künstlern oder dem Abnicken von Bildern an abgesegnete Designs aus dem vorangegangenen Buch zu erinnern. Oder alternativ: Weil bei einem neuen Logodesign nicht auf einen Schlag global alle alten Logos verschwinden.

Warum hat das Boston Lockdown für Saeder-Krupp eigentlich den alten Schwarz-Rot-Goldenen Drachenkopf und nicht das neue Lofwyr-Goldene SK-Logo aus dem Grundregelwerk (S. 34)?

Weil es offenbar echt schwer ist, sich beim Briefen von Künstlern oder dem Abnicken von Bildern an abgesegnete Designs aus dem vorangegangenen Buch zu erinnern. Oder alternativ: Weil bei einem neuen Logodesign nicht auf einen Schlag global alle alten Logos verschwinden.

Letzteres stimmt in unserer realen Gegenwart auf alle Fälle: Bei meiner Firma sollte eigentlich nur noch der Firmenname Postcon verwendet werden (die haben sich vergangenes Jahr im Frühjahr umbenannt) - das alte TNT-Regiopost findet sich aber immer noch häufig. Ist bei anderen Firmen sicher nicht anders, und trifft auch auf Behörden zu. Mancherorts werden beispielsweise Blaue und Grüne Dienstfahrzeuge, Uniformen etc. von der Polizei parallel genutzt, weil ein Komplettaustausch zu teuer gekommen wäre.

Cliffhanger Productions ist dann mal pleite... :huh:

"Der Wiener Videospielhersteller Cliffhanger Productions Software GmbH hat am Freitag beim Handelsgericht Wien Konkurs angemeldet. Das teilte der Gläubigerschutzverband AKV mit. Als Masseverwalterin ist bereits die Wiener Rechtsanwältin Johanna Abel-Winkler eingesetzt." [Link/Der Standard]

Im Kurier steht >> "Das Online-Spiel Shadowrun Chronicles ist von der Insolvenz nicht betroffen und der Betrieb und die Erweiterung des Spiels gehen weiter ", versichert Paeck <<

Edited by sirdoom

Oh... Wow. DAS kommt jetzt aber unerwartet.
Ich habe noch ein Interview mit dem Kollegen Wagner zu schneiden.

Mmmh... Es könnte aber auch durchaus eine Umlagerung auf die ...Firma gleichen Namens sein, die SR: Chronicles betreibt.

Edited by Ech0

Jan Wagner/via social media

>>>Ok, as mentioned I am preparing a statement but I am just typing this getting off a plane now, so allow me to be brief:
1) Cliffhanger consists of 2 companies, one of them "CP Software" (the dev studio) has filed for bankrupcy (which is not the same as closing down, it allows us to find options on continuation)
2) The game is operated and sold by CP Games. This company is continuing to do so (next patch is slated for Wednesday still) and thus far the development team continues to work.
3) There is no intention to close down the game and we are looking at how we can continue, not IF.
4) Of course this will affect us as a team, we will not be able to keep operating the full staff. This has not changed our intentions, but it may slow us down. But we have a Plan B in motion.
5) We will have a clearer picture in the upcoming weeks whom we will be able to retain.
6) No one can buy the license, that is not the way it is structured.

I will give a longer statement tonight, but just the facts for now.

If anyone wants to support us in this, tell people to buy the game via our website now more than ever - this nets the most money to us in the end and any penny we have can go into keeping as many team members on as we can.

The company is not called Cliffhanger for nothing and we are not ready to pack it in by a long stretch. "<<<

Die haben einfach kein Glück.

Die ausführliche Version:

Hi all,

As some of you may have read on the forums, today Cliffhanger Productions Software has officially signed for bankruptcy. I will explain what that means for Shadowrun Chronicles in a second, but let me preface this with a personal message to the team: I have never been prouder and felt more privileged to work with you. The past weeks and months have been incredibly difficult and stressful and the fact that to the last man and woman everyone continues to work on this despite the situation out of dedication to the players, the game and loyalty to your team-members is simply amazing.

Now to the matter at hand.

Facts first:

1) Cliffhanger Software is the developer filing for bankruptcy. This does not mean it will close down automatically, we are in talks regarding the studio.

2) Sister company Cliffhanger Games owns and operates Shadowrun Chronicles and continues to do so (Next game update should be out next Wednesday hopefully). It is not part of the legal procedure at present.

3) We have several plan in motion right now on how to continue but obviously there are a lot of moving parts at work, so we cannot be completely sure how it will turn out.

4) We are not called Cliffhanger for nothing. We not going to give up and we remain dedicated to improving the game and servicing our players.

How did we get here?

Building SRC has always been an uphill struggle, as many know. We obviously had a horrible amount of bad luck in our launch week seriously affecting our vital week one sales and our ratings and the game has received mixed reviews for various reasons. In the end sales are not at the level we had hoped for. This in itself would not kill the company, Shadowrun did and continues to generate revenue, which is why we are confident we can continue to operate it.

However in order to get to the release of the game we had to borrow money and we had to ask our team to forego part of their wages to be paid back to them once the revenue from Shadowrun came in. The team had agreed to this, risking their personal financial welfare while slaving away in crunch time. I have thanked them for this privately and now publicly and it is a rare display of dedication in this day and age.

With the bad hit our sales took the future prospect of SRC is limited – we can operate it with a smaller team but we cannot pay back the debt we owe to our current team and the people we borrowed money from at the due dates. Thus we are legally required to file for bankruptcy in the development studio. This procedure may end in several ways ranging from restructuring the studio to selling it or shutting it down. We are working on a number of plans and have to see which if any will come to fruition.

So what happens to Shadowrun Chronicles?

The game will continue as is, with the upcoming first challenge mission planned for Wednesday and be run by Cliffhanger Games. (I played that challenge today and we made it past Wave 2 on the second attempt having used up all our DocWagon Gold cards and Rocket launchers, so it may still be a little on the easy side). The license is not for sale (even if we wanted) and we either need to do this ourselves or hand it back to Microsoft.

I cannot pretend that future patches will not be affected by this, but we have plans to rebuild as a smaller, more agile team that can survive from SRC revenue for a good long while. These plans entail not being able to employ everyone who is currently working on the team. The amount of personal grief this brings me is immense – it may be the reality of the labor market, but these are not some anonymous employees, this is the team that has carried SRC all the way. I hate to be in this situation and powerless to prevent it and the last time I was forced to cut down a sizeable team as a manager due to a company restructuring (back at Vivendi Universal/Blizzard) I quit alongside the team. But I am not quitting Shadowrun Chronicles.

The next two weeks will likely be affected by the legal procedures and we will not be able to keep working fully on the upcoming Gamemaster PvP Mode, but I do hope we will be able to pick up mid June and in the meantime have at least one more challenge mission released.

Now the game has a lot of shortcomings, which I am the first to admit. It is a labor of love but it has also been driven by circumstances and it shows in some of the slightly hurried states parts of the game may have been released in (Hello Karma and Hello Nerfbat). But at the same time it is FUN – in single player and especially co-op. In fact co-op is MUCH more fun than I anticipated and SRC is pretty unique in combining turn-based action strategy, co-op and RPG elements successfully in this way. And I believe it has not yet realized its full potential by far.

And now?

In a situation like this some people will be skeptical about buying the game for fear of not being able to enjoy the game they bought. What we need is actually the opposite. We need more people buying this right now to support it – every penny we make is helping us keep more team members to work on this and is an investment into more future for Shadowrun. Because in order to survive the game needs a team, but it also needs a community. A community ranging from the wonderfully whacky to the critically inquisitive, filled with wonderfully supportive people united by a love for Shadowrun. We will continue to engage this community as best we can. If you think this is a project and a team worth saving, we can use all the support we can get right now to hang in there.

What about my SWAG? You owe me a (insert backer reward package)

Cliffhanger Games has the funds to fulfill the rewards. However obviously any buck we put into this will take away from potential development budget of the team (we put back a bit of money according to our initial estimates of what the swag would cost).

We are sorting this out (we are still waiting for deliveries of the boxed versions, the Lockdown books have not even been shipped from the printers yet and we are still collecting feedback from backers on T-Shirt sizes and delivery addresses). In light of the current situation I need to ask for a little more patience from you (I know delaying by over a year may have stretched that pretty thin already). We will come back with news about that once we have a clear view ahead. Please understand that we strongly feel our obligation to deliver, but we need to take care of things at home first.

Edited by Richter

Wundert mich kein bisschen das Cliffhanger Games nun pleite ist. Immerhin waren einige der Entwickler früher bei JoWood. Ich zitiere einfach mal Wikipedia:

JoWooD wurde aufgrund der Veröffentlichung unfertiger Versionen von Spielen wiederholt stark kritisiert, insbesondere bei den Spielen Söldner: Secret Wars, Gothic 2 sowie Gothic 3 und dessen Add-on. Bei Gothic 3 wurde die stark fehlerbehaftete Goldmasterversion zurückgezogen, nachdem Spielemagazine sich aufgrund der vielen Fehler geweigert hatten, eine positive Wertung abzugeben und anwaltliche Drohungen an die Spielemagazine nicht die gewünschte Wirkung hatten.[22][23] In einem Interview mit dem Online-Games-Magazin Krawall.de bestätigte Produzent Michael Paeck diese Fehler, kündigte jedoch gleichzeitig eine neue Masterversion sowie einen Patch an, der am Releasetag die restlichen Fehler beseitigen soll. Community-Manager Johann Ertl bestätigte in einem Internetforum ebenfalls, dass jeder am 13. Oktober ein „herausragendes und stabiles Game“ haben würde.[24][25] Dennoch wurde auch die überarbeitete Fassung des Spiels aufgrund zahlreicher Bugs kritisiert.

Dieser Umstand wurde bereits zu Zeiten der Kickstarter Kampagne von Shadowrun Online in Gamer-Foren diskutiert und hat sicher dazu beigetragen, dass einige Leute die Kampagne seinerzeit nicht unterstützten. Der im Wikipedia-Zitat erwähnte Michael Paeck ist übrigens der Geschäftsführer von Cliffhanger Games. Offenbar gehört es zum Geschäftsmodell Pleite zu gehen. Der weiter oben erwähnte Jan Wagner war übrigens auch bei JoWood (laut seinem Xing-Profil von 2004 - 2005 als Director of Brandmanagement...nunja..gebrannt hat es da sicher ;) )

Edited by Ethernaut

Ja... Es stand nie unter den besten Sternen.
Auch daher bin ich bei Ethernaut, dass das nur wenig mit Glück zu tun hat, Richter. Mit ein bisschen bösem Willen kann man nämlich durchaus ein System erkennen. Ein System, das beinahe zynisch anmuten kann in einem Spieluniversum, in dem es um seelenlose Megakonzerne geht, die Menschen benutzen und dann entsorgen. Klingt hart? Ist es auch. Warum ich (und Ethernaut) darauf kommen?

Weil radikale Kündigungen in der internationalen Games-Branche zum Alltag gehören. Aus einem einfachen Grund: Das 30-köpfige Team aus Programmierern, Designern etc. hat drei Jahre lang eine Menge mitgemacht, um das Spiel in lauffähigen Zustand zu versetzen. Am Ende haben sie auf Teile ihres Gehalts verzichtet. Mit Mühe und viel persönlichem Einsatz ist das geglückt und jetzt laufen Engine und Mechanik stabil - und jetzt? Jetzt hast Du als Chef 30 weitgehend untätige Programmierer, Designer etc. in Wien herumsitzen, die Däumchen drehen. Ja, es sollen noch Updates kommen, Add-Ons und hin und wieder kleine Goodies wie Haustiere und neue Klamotten. Aber dafür brauchst Du drei Leute, nicht 30.

Was also tun? Die Antwort ist hässlich - und Usus in der Branche. Die Angestellten werden rausgeschmissen. Das ist schlicht und einfach die einzig wirtschaftlich tragfähige Lösung.
Das jüngste Beispiel heißt Cliffhanger, davor war es Crytek. Bei dem Haufen habe ich es über Bekannte selbst miterlebt und war froh, damals nicht nach Frankfurt gegangen zu sein. Anders als in den USA sind Massenentlassungen hierzulande (noch) nicht möglich; d
er Arbeitnehmerschutz in DE & AU verhindert (noch) solch' widerwärtige Auswüchse des Hyperkapitalismus.
Dennoch muss das Team gesundgeschrumpft werden. Da ist eine gelenkte Pleite das in DE & AU juristisch sichere Pendant dazu. Dass Wagner & Paeck für diesen Fall sogar schon mit einer zweiten eigenständigen Firma vorgesorgt zu haben scheinen, sollte man ruhig strategisch bewerten.

"Boston Lockdown" Sourcebook ist trotzdem ganz unterhaltsame Lektüre...